The Movie Thread

Everything not related to Prince of Persia should be discussed here.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Norbert »

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote:Me talking about my favorite films for 20 minutes: [...]
Mechner about Inception, the film I listed as my #2, in response to someone inquiring about people's "unpopular benign" opinions.

I recently re-watched it with a buddy.
He too had already seen it, but we re-watched it so I could pause the film now and then to explain things a bit more.
He had some clever questions too; always new things to think about.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Interesting to watch 'regular' people's reviews on YouTube of the new Star Trek: Discovery TV series.
Plus all comments about the new The Orville TV series.
Makes it extra interesting, that those two very different Star Trek themed TV shows launched almost at the same time.
Tischler
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Tischler »

I'm enjoying both shows. I kind of expected more of Discovery, but it shows promise. I just hope they take it in a good direction. It would be awesome if the show is about the start of Section 31 agency.
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

Referring to my above post last month this is my mashup trailer
viewtopic.php?p=22397#p22397
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

The CGI for Thanos (also: "but this") is incredible, by the way.
Especially the eyes and areas around them.
It's almost as if they filmed an actual person's eyes and digitally integrated that footage into the face.
The subtle facial movements; they show off the character for several seconds in a row without issue.
I see some Jack Nicholson in his face.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Just watched Bright.
It's all right, despite it co-starring Will Smith.
Thumbs up or down? Up.
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

Norbert wrote: January 6th, 2018, 3:37 am The CGI for Thanos (also: "but this") is incredible, by the way.
Especially the eyes and areas around them.
It's almost as if they filmed an actual person's eyes and digitally integrated that footage into the face.
The subtle facial movements; they show off the character for several seconds in a row without issue.
I see some Jack Nicholson in his face.
Norbert, glad you are excited for this as much as I am. :P
Now this just arrived a few hours ago.... :D :D :D
infinity war uploaded 5hrs ago.jpg

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

kj-5349 wrote: March 16th, 2018, 8:32 pmNow this just arrived a few hours ago....
Yeah, I did see that one. :)
I'm now watching Grace's shot by shot breakdown.
(I watch all her videos.)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Falcury wrote: March 17th, 2018, 4:02 pmNo big deal
Okay, no biggie.
Sorry, that just reminded me of that film.
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

(From What you are listening to right now thread)
Norbert wrote: April 27th, 2018, 11:32 am Anyway, did you see Avengers: Infinity War?
From what I've heard it focuses less on story and more on bringing the viewer a roller coaster ride.
I'll definitely be checking it out myself, although not in a cinema.
Among other things, I actually prefer headphones over the audio at the movie theater.
Plus the screen distance, the distractions (e.g. emergency lights, people), etc.
Apologies on the late reply. Anyway I saw it on the first weekend, with a full house despite being a night show. Distractions also include people accidentally kicking the chair from behind and a lot of chatter - there is a lot of stuff and details, probably as Marvel expected the viewer to have seen all 18 movies before this (as mentioned by a critic Avengers:_Infinity_War#Critical_response)
-----

I'm most likely echoing the Wikipedia critical response but here is my personal opinion on the movie:

Spoiler tag for other forum users haven't seen the movie or might not have been interested in the movie but are now instead
Spoiler: show
- I came in thinking it might be a repeat of Winter Soldier and Civil War, as the Russos were directing.
- Then as the movie progressed I kinda felt it being familiar and similar to the 2012 Avengers, maybe because of Alan Silvestri's score and how several parts were structured like the first Avengers, especially the intro with the Hulk and Dr Strange, like with Nick Fury and Agent Coulson and subsequently the Avengers logo and intro theme.
- A roller coaster ride indeed it is as you said, as there is lot of back and forth, a lot of locations in-movie, and so many subplots with several subgroups of Avengers. To get the full picture was to watch it --- a few times to piece everything together.
- The fight scenes are easily better than Joss Whedon's movies
- I've been typing 'Audience reactions' in youtube for the scenes 'Captain America first appearance' and 'Thor arrives in Wakanda' and the cheers and whooping are really funny. I dunno which theater or country these uploaders recorded their reactions but it's amazing how absorbed these people are for these fictional heroes :D
- Of course the ending leaves a lot more questions than answers. Although Ant Man 2 might be low-key (in my own opinion), the Russos claimed it's connects to Infinity War more than the earlier setup movies. I might be actually interested now than before April 2018. That little hint about Captain Marvel also got me curious for next year March, and I'm still waiting for the full title of Untitled Avengers 4 :roll:
- All in all it deserves better than 83% in RT, and this is good in it's own different way compared to Winter Soldier, Civil War and Black Panther. It's good like Avengers 1 and better than Age of Ultron.
Last edited by kj-5349 on May 27th, 2018, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the film.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Old (2015), but still fun.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I just finished watching the first season of Cobra Kai, a TV-series based on The Karate Kid film series.
With both Daniel LaRusso (actor Ralph Macchio) and Johnny Lawrence (actor William Zabka) back in the game.
This TV-series is surprisingly good.
And I'm not the only one to think so: currently 9.0 at IMDb, and 100% and 96% at Rotten Tomatoes...